2011/06/19

France During World War 2 and What Americans May Not Know

When the war in Iraq began, I was made painfully aware of the lack of knowledge and understanding many Americans had about France's circumstances as it entered the Second World War. My native country was trashed in the press, French wine was thrown down into ditches, and the French were painted as cowards who wouldn't fight. I feel compelled to offer some information that, hopefully, will dispel some of these impressions.

Born in France at the beginning of World War II, I am a product of both wars. My grandfather was commandant of a large French Air Base, and I sat on his laps for hours as he told me great stories about the Great War. I also have a very personal experience of the Second World War and vividly recall bombs falling around me, the terrible years of German occupation, and our deliverance by America. (I was among the hundreds of little children being tossed rations and candy bars from passing U.S. tanks.)

Many Americans are not aware of France's circumstances as it entered the Second World War: The fact is that the First World War left France's infrastructure in shambles; railroads, airports, bridges, naval ports, hospitals, schools and thousands homes and municipal buildings were obliterated. Her army, once considered the best in Europe, was decimated. One million three hundred thousand men died, and France lost the best of its youth.Thousand men returned from prison camps so weak they were never able to work again.

When the armistice was signed on November 11, 1918, America made generous loans to both France and Germany. France used the funds to rebuild the country, and by the time the Second War started, only 20 years after the First World War and in the midst of the Great Depression, France had achieved its goal. The country was almost back to normal. There were no funds left, however, to rebuild the army, and air force, or train new troops.

Germany, on the other hand, suffered little damage to its country's infrastructure in the First World War and used the American funds to rebuild its war arsenal. When World War II began in September 1939, Germany possessed five times the number of planes, tanks, trucks and weapons than did France and its allies, and a large, well trained force. Additionally, other than Poland, none of the Allies who initially joined France in 1914 agreed to join her in 1939. It must also be said that France's government was in constant political turmoil during most of those twenty years. So, France entered the Second World War in a weaken state and without enthusiasm.

I hope this will make you look at France in a different way and with a little more compassion and understanding. My next articles will take you into France's occupation by Germany and the years afterward. Hope to see you then.

Francine Fuqua - author, artist and lover of life. Born in war-torn France at the beginning of World War II, I have experienced and I remember the horrors of that war. Having witnessed the pain and suffering of so many, I have a true love of life and appreciate the freedom I now have living in the United States of America. Join me in a celebration of art, french cooking, my family's rich history and my native country at http://francinefuqua.com/

To learn more about my first novel, "In Pursuit of Abraham" which takes place in 1943 occupied France, the Middle East and in the land of the Patriarchs 4000 years ago, Click Here


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment